My mom always insists that I write the first item in the grocery list with sweet ingredient (either sugar or jaggery), for sweet and happy life. It’s an Indian tradition to start everything with “Shri” and “Swastik” and have sweet as first thing. Whether it’s for a newly constructed house or any happy ceremony.
Writing sweet ingredient, gives me a lesson learnt for life to have sweet and positive first thought always.
Let’s quickly take a look at ingredients. Following my mom and writing the Wet ingredients starting with Condensed milk (it has sugar in it).
Condensed milk – 1 tin/400gms (I prefer to use Nestle Condensed milk)
Butter/Oil – 1 cup
Vanilla Essence – 1tsp
Cardamom powder – 1/8 tsp(this is optional)
Maida/all-purpose flour – 1 and 3/4 cups
Baking powder – 2tsp
Soda Bicarbonite – 1tsp
Cocoa powder – 1/4 cup
Salt – pinch of salt.
Bundt pan/Cooker – here I have used bundt pan
- Place the bottom plate of bundt pan with soil on gas stove at low flame. By the time we prepare the cake batter, plate will be preheated.
- Grease the bundt pan with oil and dust with sugar. This gives a nice caramelized sugar crust for the cake.
- Sift all the dry ingredients together and keep it aside.
- Whisk all the Wet ingredients together, either whisk with hand or use a mixer grinder. If using a mixer grinder, run only for 2 seconds and check, if not done properly run for another 2 seconds.
- Add the sifted dry ingredients to the wet mixture, whisk until you get a dropping consistency, add water if required. Half to 1 cup water might be required.
- Pour the batter into cake pan, tap the cake pan to level the batter, and place it on the preheated plate. Cooking time varies depending on the flame and cake pan size. For my pan it takes about 20 to 25 min to bake cake.
- Put the flame on high for 2 min, and on low flame for 10 min, when the cake is half done, turn the cake pan 180 degrees, so that cake gets even heat. Another 10 min and cake is done.
- Check by poking a tooth pick or knife in the cake till the bottom, if cake is done, knife comes out clean, if not bake for another 2 to 5 min and check again.
- Turn off the gas, once the cake cools down a bit, when it is still warm, turn the pan upside down on to a plate to demold from cake pan. Let it cool and enjoy cake.
Cake tastes delicious…
I got the best ever compliment for this cake. I served this cake to one of the guests and he said that its as good as the cake at famous confectionery store at my place. He made my day.