Do you buy jams loaded with preservatives? Best alternative is apple sauce, kids will definitely love this and the recipe is so simple and quick.
Apple sauce can be used as a bread spread, or itself as infant or toddler meal or in combination with cereal and in yogurt parfaits. Guess what, we can replace butter with apple sauce too in cake recipes, cakes without any oil or butter, sounds exciting right? Stay tuned and I will come up with more recipes.
Preparing apple sauce is very simple, just steam the apple with spices and sweetener and mash/puree it, hooola its ready. See the detailed procedure below and read through the notes for tips.
Apples – 2 (Washed, peeled, cored, and diced)
Water – ¾ cup
Sugar – 1 table spoon or as per taste
Spices – Cardamom and Cinnamon (I have used only cardamom)
- Pour ¾ cup water in pressure cooker.
- Place peeled cored and diced apples, sugar and spices into pressure cooker.
- Cook for 10 to 15 min or for 2 whistles or until apples are tender.
- Mash with the help of potato masher or fork.
- You need to be quick while working with apples as they start to oxidise once you cut them.
- It can be cooked either in a pan or pressure cooker, however with pressure cooker, cooking time is quicker.
- If you feel that the water content is more, cook for a while without lid.
- If you want a smoother consistency, puree it in blender after mashing.
Yummy apple sauce!