Are you bored with having plain cake? You must try this marble cake. From the name of the cake, you might have guessed how the cake is gonna look. That’s right, cake is inspired from marble pattern, marble cakes are with streaked or mottled appearance. And every time we make this cake, the design of it is always a surprise, we will get a different pattern each time.
Marble cakes were originated in 19th century in Germany. There is one more popular variation of this cake which is in checkerboard pattern. Marble cakes are made with two coloured batters, one pale yellow and the other with darker shade. Initially molasses and spices were used for the darker shade of batter.
Condensed milk – 400gms tin
Butter/Oil – 1 cup and 1 table spoon for greasing cake pan
Vanilla Essense – 1tsp
Maida/all-purpose flour – 1¾ cups and 2 table spoons for dusting cake pan
Cocoa powder – ¼ cup
Baking powder – 2tsp
Soda Bicarbonite – 1tsp
- Spread soil at the bottom of cooker, place a rack on soil and our cooker is ready for baking, keep it on stove on low flame. Meanwhile prepare the cake batter.
- Grease the cake pan with oil and dust with maida.
- Sift together maida, baking powder and soda and keep it aside.
- Whisk all the wet ingredients together.
- Add the sifted dry ingredients to the wet mixture, whisk until you get a dropping consistency, add water if required. Half to 1 cup water might be required. If using a mixer grinder, run only for few seconds and check, if not done properly run for few more seconds.
- Transfer half of the batter to a bowl, and add cocoa powder to remaining half batter, a bit of water and whisk it. We have two batters one is plain and the other with cocoa powder in it.
- Pour more than half of the plain batter into cake pan, and pour the cocoa batter over it and then the remaining plain batter.
- Now swirl the batter with a knife randomly.
- Tap the cake pan to level the batter, and place it in the cooker. Close the cooker with lid (remove the gasket and whistle). Cooking time varies depending on the flame and cake pan size.
- Put the flame on high for 3 min, and on low flame, bake for about 25 min or when the cake is half done, turn the cooker 180 degrees, so that cake gets even heat. You will get approximate time for baking after baking once in cooker. It took about 50 min for cake to bake.
- Check by poking a tooth pick or knife in the cake till the bottom, if cake is done, knife comes out clean, if not bake for another 5 min and check again.
Cake tastes good on second day. I don’t know why! I like the taste of cakes on day two.
Enjoy soft and fluffy Marble Cake!