Rainy season is about to start, I am relishing those last mangoes of the season. This time I had a mango almost everyday this summer.
Memories trailing back to childhood. Every summer it was a special time with loads of fun playing games, and helping mom preparing pickles and snacks. Mom used to make mango, tomato and other pickles in huge quantity and we would cherish them whole year. Mango and tomato are my favorites. I loved those mango pieces saturated in pickle. All that aside I will tell you simple Mango pickle recipe which everyone can do.
Ingredients for pickle:
- Raw green mangoes: 2
- Ginger: 125gms
- Garlic: 125grams
- Salt: 1 1/2 cups
- Chilli powder: 2 Cups (3 mangoes Chilli powder)
- Fenugreek seeds: 2 tbsp
Ingredients for Tampering
- Oil: 2 cups
- Jeera: 2tbsp
- Mustard: 2tbsp
- Red dry chillies: 4 chillies
Get things ready before we start to mix ingredients for the pickle.
- Wash mangoes and wipe them with a cloth, let them air dry for a while so that there is no moisture, cube them into pieces(Oh i missed to take a picture of mango).
- Wash and peel ginger let it dry under fan in a cloth for sometime.
- Peel the garlic pods.
- First step is to do the tampering, it will take some time for the oil to cool down. Meanwhile we can mix the pickle ingredients.
- Heat up the oil in a wok, switch off flame.
- Let the oil cool down a bit for couple of min.
- Add Jeera, mustard and dry red chillies to it.
For the Pickle:
- Dry roast fenugreek seeds.
- Grind the salt and keep it aside, grinding salt makes it easy to blend in the pickle, this is a tip by mom, which she learnt with experience.
- Grind Chilli powder and Fenugreek seeds together and keep it aside. Fenugreek seeds are in little quantity, adding to chilli powder, makes the job easy at the same time chilli powder will blend well in pickle.
- Next step is to grind ginger and garlic together.
- Take ginger and garlic into a large bowl
- Add tampered oil to ginger garlic paste, mix well
- Add salt and Chilli powder and mix all together.
- Add the mango cubes little at a time and mix well.
- Following day have a look at pickle, the oil should float, if there is no oil floating, take a cup of oil and warm up oil a bit, once it cools down add to pickle.
- On the following day whether you add oil or not, mix the pickle one final time.
- Transfer it to a glass jar or ceramic jar.
- Do not use steel jar for storing, as the salt in pickle is corrosive.
- Oil and salt will act as preservatives and pickle will stay fresh at room temperature for over a year, when stored in a cool and dry place.
- Scoop out a batch of pickle sufficient for a week or two, and always use a clean and dry spoon to scoop out pickle from master pickle jar.
- It has always been a tradition at Indian homes to prepare pickles after taking shower and also before scooping out a batch of pickle from master pickle jar. It is just to keep ourselves hygienic to keep germs and bacteria at bay.
Spicy and tangy pickle for a yummy meal. I am really worried that it’s getting over so fast, I guess I should be happy that pickle turned out awesome. Thanks mom.