This is a substitute for roti on days when I feel lazy to make roti. These days 80% of the times I end up mostly doing wheat dosa rather than roti. My son who is gonna be 3 yrs old very soon, loves to eat this. This is the only food he is not bored with, usually he wont eat the same food daily.
I usually take 3:1 ratio of wheat and sooji, in other words for every 3 cups of wheat flour you need to take 1 cup of sooji. One can adjust the ratio of wheat and sooji as per ones taste preference. Many people add rice flour instead of Sooji, however I prefer to add sooji.
Sooji gives crispness as well as dosa comes off easily from pan. These days I just transitioned from non-stick pan to iron tawa, pretty cheap and lasts life long, and I don’t have to change the pan every six months or every year, when the non stick coating peels off. My hubby always say, money saved is equivalent to money earned, so earned so much:)
- Wheat: 3/4 cup
- Sooji: 1/4 cup
- Curd: 2 tbsp.
- Salt: As per taste.
- Jeera/ajwain -1tsp(Optional)
- Water: as needed
- Oil – as needed while making Dosa
- Into a bowl take wheat flour, sooji, salt and jeera/ajwain. Add little water at a time and mix well to make it to a dosa batter consistency.
- Add curd and mix well.
- Let it rest for 10 min.
- Now heat a tawa, drizzle some oil and wipe it off with tissue.
- Put a ladle full of batter and spread like dosa in circular motion.
- After dosa is slightly cooked, drizzle some oil around and on dosa. I usually use home-made ghee rather than oil.
- Once the edges of dosa start to come off from pan, flip it onto other side and let it cook for some time.
- Either we can use curd and water separately to mix batter or buttermilk to mix batter.
- Urad-rice dosa batter can be substituted for curd.
- Rice flour can be used as a replacement for Sooji.
- Wheat dosa takes double the time when compared to urad-rice dosa, gotta be patient. I keep doing other work in the kitchen to pass time.
- Make small dosas, so that it will be easy to flip.
Do try and let me know if you like this.